Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Go Go Gadget Garden

Despite some unfortunate events over the last week, DH and I still managed to finish what we started on the raised beds. Bright and early on Saturday I took the better soil that I saved on each end of the ginormous pile and filled each raised bed to between 1/3 and 1/2 full, tossing out any bits of grass and rocks as I went (see how the pile has shrunk!!?). The soil here is rich, but clay-ish. We then went and got 9 bags of compost from Evergreen nursery. It was a bit spendy, but worth it. The stuff we're using has chicken manure, earthworm casting, sea kelp and something else in it - I forget...but it was good shit. We filled up the beds with that yummy-ness and Joe turned it thoroughly. His parents say it's too early to start anything, but I couldn't wait so I bought some stuff and planted it: tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green bell pepper, crookneck squash and some flower companions for them. I also direct seeded some greens and carrots. They look so cute, don't you think?




It seems like every time I take a picture it's late in the day when the sun is gone! But I assure you both these spots get at least 4 hours of sun a day and will get even more as the sun crosses higher in the sky and spring begets summer.

My seedlings that I started inside are not faring so well. I've managed to kill a whole flat which contained sadly, my tomatoes, basil, eggplant and jalepeno. As with last year, the sunflower, zucchini, corn, echinacea and sage are doing well. The rest are spindly and pathetic and not making any progress at all. I also recently started some onions and beans, but only one each of the little pots sprouted. I never do have much luck with the starting inside. Perhaps if I had a grow light it would make it more worthwhile. The sunflowers will go outside soon, as I can tell they are growing weary of their small peat pots. The rest have a while to go.

Last year I had a lovely show of black eyed susans after spontaneously scattering some seeds. I think I'll do the same again this year. They are so pretty that they bring me joy every time I gaze upon them. I see some teeny sprouts where I scattered wildflower and butterfly garden seeds - but the soil there is so clay that I'm not sure how successful they will be. We will see! This is the first year of many years of gardening lessons to be learned from our darling little yard. Oh, I almost forgot! DH ordered some year old Hop Rhizomes that will be here next week. We need to find a place for them to creep. The obvious choice (against the bedroom wall) won't work because we need to keep it open for painting. We are talking about a couple of big wine barrels with the bamboo tripods in them. He can't wait to make some home brew with home grown hops!

Gardening isn't all I've been up to though! I did start on another room...the spare room which will be a guest/sewing room until such time there is a small person to occupy it. It's pretty freakin' dingy and has spots that need some serious plaster and patching. Blech. But it's only a few evening's of work and I'll be able to start painting it. The color will be "Fun in the Sun" which is a warm, light yellow. A color I like, and may be a wise choice for the future? We will see. Here's a little before for ya...burn these images into your brain so that you can marvel with the cuteness of the "after" room. ;)



Well, that's all I got for now. I hope all is well in your worlds. Until next time fair bloglings.

1 comment:

Gypsy Junk Knits said...

everything looks great, as to growing hops in a barrel, I hope you have more luck than I did last year. Mine only produced one little shoots worth. I think they like it in the ground more. Also the hop rhyzome festival should be coming up at the bistro come April, they usually have some good clippings.